Friday 25 October 2013

Figo: "I couldn't stay because the president didn't want me"

Figo: I couldn't stay because the president didn't want me
10/25/2013
Luis Figo revealed that his departure from Real Madrid was because Florentino Perez, who first brought him to Real, no longer wanted him.
"I couldn't stay because I was a player the president didn't want. I don't know what changed, but I remember clearly that it came on the back of an Albacete-Real Madrid match, I had played and we'd won. The 'Clasico' was that week and, suddenly, I was on the bench with no explanation ", he explained in an interview.
"It was definitely done to hurt me. I'm clear on that, and that's why I left. I had a year left on my contract with Madrid, where I was earning good money and could take it easy, but as I don't like to get too settled, I preferred to look for a new project and be happy, instead of being paid and not playing", he added.
The Portuguese player admitted that his relationship with Florentino has cooled since his departure. "He is my president because he's the president of my club. I don't share his ideas but I respect him. He's certainly a very powerful and influential man and I just hope he does right by the club".
"My experience was a negative one, but that's all in the past. Just like all the members, I hope he manages, through his project and philosophy, to take the club to the very top. Only time will tell," he added.
Figo also admitted that he would have liked to have left Real "in another way" and did not rule out returning in the future, even possibly as president: "It would be a surprise if I put myself forward for the presidency in a few years' time"

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for your precious time and feedback.